Friday, July 10, 2009

"Confessions of a Shopaholic"

Hahahaha....I'm updating this from Chicago! (ALA convention)
This was the book that was formerly on my shelf, but it made the trip with me. Okay, so sue me. Chick Lit ahoy!

"Confessions of a Shopaholic"
Sophie Kinsella
Bantam Dell 2001
ISBN # 0-440-24141-3

Becky Bloomwood has a massive problem: Her visa bill. She also has a number of other inconveniently large bills to pay, debts to finish off, and, unfortunately, a serious lack of funds. But, there's hope. Convinces she can quash her spening frenzy, Becky tries a number of ways to get out her debt. But it isn't until she starts helping people with their own money problems that she sees the key to hers.

Firstly, I read this book before the movie came out. And, I really liked it. I normally do not get sucked into chick lit (chick flicks, yes. Chick lit, no.) But, there's something about Becky (and indeed, many of Kinsella's leading ladies. They come across as airheads at first, but there's really something deeper to to their characters. You find yourself rooting for them, even when they do ridiculous things. I've never been a great shopper either. (The mother of my homestay family during my semester in Ireland took the two of us girls staying with her to Galway for some girl shopping. It never occurred to me that people actually DO, in real life, devote time to matching shoes to a bag. It was slightly thrilling.) But, something about the pace and the improbabilty of this book, coupled with Becky's character and Kinsella's prose, makes it fun. And fluffy. But mostly fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment