Thursday, June 18, 2009

Caution: Fluff! "The Lost Memoirs of Jane Austen"

I was on an Austen kick today, and breezed through "The Lost Memoirs of Jane Austen" at work today. I also got back my copy of 'Pride and Prejudice and Zombies", so look for that one in future. :)



"The Lost Memoirs of Jane Austen"
Syrie James
Avon A, 2007
ISBN: 978-0061341427

Jane Austen's lost tale of the love of her life and the events behind some of her greatest works.

Yeah, that's a very brief summary, but I can't really think about how to sum it up any better. The only thing that really makes this book work is a knowledge of other Jane Austen works (even if you've just seen the movies...). There are some overlaps in names, but it's so easy to pick out who's who from the novels. The bustling Mrs. Jenkins, the simpering Miss Steele, the ridiculous Mr. Collins. They're all there. And, of course, Jane Austen becomes her heroines by turns. It's easy to see her as Elinor Dashwood, and her relationship with her sister is very close to Jane Bennett and Elizabeth Bennett. All the events of the story focus on Austen finishing up her first real novel, Sense and Sensibility. The story follows Jane Austen and her romantic encounter with a Mr. Ashford, who resembles a certain Mr. Darcy. It's an entertaining little read, and definitely more fun if you have any Austen background.



For the record, I wrote this entry while watching the lastest film for "Pride and Prejudice" with Keira Knightley. Yes, I swoon over Mr. Darcy. But Mr. Knightley is still my all-time favorite.

2 comments:

  1. so I just watched the movie Becoming Jane, it was pretty good. Is it bad that I'm a librarian and somehow have never read her books? Which one should i start with?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Start with Pride and Prejudice, and work your way through. My favorite, by far, is her mock gothic novel "Northanger Abbey".

    ReplyDelete